While watching Pretty Little Liars I received a very intense hankering for something sweet. Since I already had an Orange creamcicle (which obviously did not do the job) and there were no boxes of brownies in the pantry I decided I needed to bake! I always keep sugar and flour in mass amounts so baking a little cookie was no problem. I had a lime in the fridge from making guacamole (yum) so I thought I might put it to new use.
Lime sugar cookies
1 stick Crisco (sorry out of butter plus it was already room temp)
1tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp lemon extract
Juice of one lime
Zest of one lime
2 drops green food coloring
3 cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 ¾ cup sugar
- Whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour in a separate bowl
- Cream together Crisco and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add the egg, limejuice, lime zest, food coloring, and lemon extract and mix
- Add the flour to the wet mixture one cup out of time until just mixed (do not over mix)
- Flour your hands and roll dough into 2” balls and place on a cookie sheet 2” apart. Bake for 13-15min or until lightly brown on the bottom
- Let cool (good luck!)
- In between batches keep dough in the freezer.
- I noticed my cookies were not spreading enough so I pressed down on them with a fork right in the middle (similar to what you do with peanut butter cookies)
These cookies were the perfect late night snack! What do you bake at night when your craving sweets?