- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
- Coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 packed cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 heaping cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3-4 bell peppers
- ½ small white onion
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (11 ounce) can green chilies
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, and ½ cup water to a crock pot. Cook overnight on low. In the morning remove to a large bowl.
- Chop the onion and sauté with salt and pepper. Add chopped spinach, corn, garlic, and brown rice. Remove and add to the chicken.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-heat, stir in the flour and cook 2 – 3 minutes, stirring often (roux). Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer 3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Turn heat down to low and mix in the green chilies. Add the cream cheese and sour cream to a medium bowl with a ladle of the hot broth. Work it together with a spoon then add another ladle of broth. Stir it together then add it to the sauce. (This is to prevent curdling.) Whisk until it is completely combined.
- Preheat grill (high) and line a grill pan with foil.
- Wash the peppers and cut off the tops. Remove the seeds and the white centers.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Mix the sauce into the meat and veggie bowl. You don’t have to use all of it make sure it’s not drowning.
- Spoon the stuffing into the peppers. Top with the remaining cheese. Put peppers on the grill and change the heat to indirect. Will need to grill until the pepper is soft and contents are bubbling (30min)
- Let sit for five minutes top with sour cream and salsa. Serve with chips on the side!
The original recipe was done in the oven. So if you don’t have a grill see the original recipe here! Happy Sunday!