Huevos Rancheros is one of those meals that you can make with just about anything. Mix it up and use what you have on hand to make it a meal that is not only easy but uses your resourcefulness lol. Here’s what I made a couple weekends ago and I have to say it really hit the early morning spot. I had a nap after if that tells you anything lol. I also had a beer for breakfast but I’m an adult so I can do what I want!
Huevos Rancheros (Makes 6)
- 1/4 cup of onion
- 1/2 cup bell pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 6 eggs
- 6 corn tortillas
- shredded stewed chicken
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
– Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to a pot and cook down ¼ cup chopped onion. Add the black beans to the pot and simmer on low.
– Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the tortillas on both sides with cooking spray and place on the pan. Cook for about 10min on each side until crisp.
– Heat the chicken in a pan and preheat a small pan with vegetable oil on medium high. Fry one egg at a time and set aside. The key to the perfect fried egg is a pan that is hot and well oiled. Use as wide of a spatula as you have. I love to cook mine until golden brown with the yolk still runny (about 3min each side)
– On top of each tortilla layer black beans, chicken, cheese, fried egg, and then another layer of cheese. Place the pan back into the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and salsa. If you had a rough Saturday night add a beer to the mix for the perfect hangover recipe.
Making the chicken
– add two chicken breasts to the crock pot along with onions, bell peppers, juice of one lime, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, and salsa. Allow to cook on high for 4 hours. Shred the chicken and your ready to go!
I hope you are all having a great start to the weekend stay tuned for more breakfast recipes this weekend and a Katrina story next week! Love ya QT’s!!!